HOW TO BE HAPPIER

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Today's post is how to become more happy by trying a few of these tips or all if you want. These are things I do just to feel more myself and I feel they really help to make me happier.

1. Get the correct amount of sleep
Nothing starts the day better than getting enough sleep. You wake feeling refreshed and ready to start the day. Now a lot of people think the more sleep the better. Not entirely true. When we sleep we have many sleep cycles which last about an hour and a half. This means if we sleep for 6 hours we have 4 sleep cycles. If you wake up in the middle of a cycle this is what makes you feel groggy and moody. Here (http://sleepyti.me/) is an online calculator which helps you decide on a time to go to bed/get up in the morning. By waking up when you have just finished a sleep cycle you feel refreshed and alert.

2. Get up a little bit earlier than needed
I love nothing more than getting up and doing some yoga and having some breakfast before I even start getting ready for college. I feel like I’m not being rushed to start the day and it means I start college on a positive note. I’m not yawning on the train wishing I had a costa in my hand.

3. Exercise your body and mind
Not is it only important to exercise physically but also mentally. Doing exercise such as yoga means you get the best of both worlds. You get a full body workout and get to relax your mind. Meditation is also another great way to do this, I know it’s not everyone's cup of tea so you could also grab a book or do a puzzle. Step back from the computer and take time to really exercise your mind. I also try go to the gym when I have full days at college as it keeps me awake and alert for my afternoon class.

4. Drink plenty of water
I always seem to be able to drink 1/2 ltr of water when I’m working out or in college but on regular days I really struggle. I am trying to drink more water all the time, I was so pleased when I managed a full 2 ltrs the other day! Water is great for keeping you hydrated and alert. It also works wonders for your skin! If we all drank enough water we probably wouldn’t need to spend so much on spot treatment or expensive skincare as a whole.

5. Be healthy
Our bodies go through a lot so the least we can do to thank it is treat it well, by exercising, drinking lots of water and eating healthily. You don't have to eat exceptionally good 24/7 and never have sugar again. But it's important to try and have a good balance. I try to be as healthy as possible on a daily basis so I don’t feel bad about pigging out at the weekend. Switch your white bread to brown seeded bread, swap your full fat milk to semi-skimmed milk, use sweeteners instead of sugar. By doing small things you can make a big difference and your body will thank you in return.

6. Be more organised
Plan your outfit the night before and lay it out. I can’t stress enough how much I love doing this. It means I don’t have that extra stress of "what am I going to wear today?!" and "oh god I need to leave in 10 minutes!" when I still haven't even planned my outfit. I love planning out my meals the day before too so that I can run to Tesco if I want anything for lunch that we don’t have in the fridge. This saves a lot of money too. It means I won't be tempted to buy a big lunch when I’m out the house. You can also plan out your exercise routine. This means you know exactly when you have time and will be less likely to make excuses when it comes to actually following through with it! Do yoga in the morning or before bed. Do a workout over lunch. You'll feel much better and it will help beat those afternoon blues.

7. Set goals/Do new things
One of this years resolutions is to start hiking. I am going to start when the weather gets better and by Summer I’m hoping to go with my boyfriend and dog on hiking/hill walk weekends and just have fun. This is also a really good way to get fit without really noticing. I also went to see the film Wild recently which made me even more excited! I can’t wait to read the book (another goal of mine - read more). Try something new this year and see if you enjoy it, plan trips or weekends away. Go to new restaurants and try new food. This will make you excited to get through the work week. Enjoy your weekends and days off. Rather than laze about - get up and get out - you will feel much better believe me.

8. Treat yo’self
At least once a week set time aside to give your face a good cleanse, get some body scrub on, paint your nails and do a hair mask. Treating yourself is a good way to appreciate and give your body some loving. Rubbing in a body butter is my favourite thing to do. I also like to splurge on a product or piece of clothing I’ve been wanting for a while. Recently I noticed I was willing to spend £30 on an eyeshadow pallete but wouldn’t spend that much on a good piece of skin care which would actually benefit my face well in the long run. I used to grudge paying a lot for skin care because it doesn’t last that long where as a good pair of jeans last a life time. However I finally decided to buy myself a good serum this month and I’m so glad I did. Treating yourself every once a while is an excellent way to cheer yourself up, I'm sure we'd all agree!

2 comments:

  1. I love posts like this! I sometimes find myself feeling sad and down for no apparent reason and doing little things like this can really help me to improve my mood and give me more motivation :)


    www.rachelcoco.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aw thanks I love them too! Glad you already do these things too :)

    ReplyDelete